'Supergirl' star David Krumholtz deletes retirement posts
‘Supergirl’ star David Krumholtz said on Threads Monday he is done with acting and ready for a new life, then deleted those posts. The Oppenheimer actor wrote he put his career on hold after a “definitive email,” citing Hollywood job frustration. His reps did not immediately comment.
Key Takeaways
- Krumholtz posted on Threads that he had put acting on hold and later deleted the messages.
- He said he sent a “definitive email” and felt relief, while remaining unsure how he would earn money.
- He argued that fighting for parts now meant exploitative roles and diminishing returns for artists.
- Seth Rogen has previously said Krumholtz once talked about quitting to sell BMWs in Riverside.
- Variety reported that representatives for the actor did not immediately respond for comment.
Did David Krumholtz actually retire from acting?
Not in any confirmed, permanent sense. According to Variety, Krumholtz wrote that he “kinda sorta” put his acting career on hold, then removed the Threads posts about his frustration with getting jobs in Hollywood.
That deletion left fans guessing whether he is truly ready to turn in his SAG/AFTRA card. He played Kor-El in this year’s Supergirl and also appeared in Oppenheimer and The Studio.
The Addams Family Values veteran has more than 100 film and TV credits, a run that makes any pause notable for viewers tracking streaming and TV alerts.
Why did Krumholtz say he was putting acting on hold?
He framed the move as something he had been petrified to do for years. The specific fear, he wrote, was that he would go broke and not be able to handle being out of the game.
The post said he “sent the definitive email” that would put his career on hold for now. “A huge wave of relief washed over me,” he wrote. “Not sure what I’m going to do for money instead, or how I’m going to do it, but I just removed a humongous burden, one that I truly didn’t fathom the weight of until it was gone. Frustrated, fed up, fried.”
He added that it became clear this year that if he continued “fighting for parts (what I used to call ‘auditioning’),” it would be for roles that exploit his talent and reputation for a drastically diminishing return.
“Exploitative art isn’t art,” he wrote. “And artists deserve a fair pay percentage for work that assists their employers in making profits. I came up in a time where movie studios and TV networks, no matter how big, were still mom & pop store entities.”
Has the actor talked about quitting Hollywood before?
Yes. Variety noted it is not the first time he has been ready to hang it up. Seth Rogen, a longtime friend, told a story on the Diary of a CEO podcast about Krumholtz once saying he was going to quit acting, move to Riverside, and start selling BMWs.
That earlier anecdote does not prove he will leave this time. It does show that talk of walking away is not new for an actor whose credits include 10 Things I Hate About You, Freaks and Geeks, Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, Numb3rs, This Is the End, and The Rookie.
What happens next for Krumholtz and his fans?
For now, the public record is a deleted Threads statement, not a studio announcement. Variety said reps for Krumholtz did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Until he or his representatives say otherwise, the safest reading is that he described putting acting on hold, then pulled the posts. Fans who caught the messages before they vanished are left with his own words: relief, uncertainty about money, and a desire for a new life.