Celebrity Breaking News · Taylor Brooks · 20 August 2026

Shocking timing: King Charles learned of Sussex UK return

Shocking timing: King Charles learned of Sussex UK return

King Charles learned about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's UK return only four days before the news broke — the shocking timing King Charles faced after a July Highgrove reunion where the couple kept their plans quiet. Page Six confirmed the cancer-stricken monarch was told Sunday of their extended stay later this month.

Key Takeaways

When did King Charles find out about the move?

According to Page Six, the 77-year-old monarch learned on Sunday that his son and daughter-in-law are returning to Britain later this month for "an extended period."

Harry, 41, and Markle, 45, made their plans earlier this month — weeks after reuniting with Charles at Highgrove. They did not tell the king or Queen Camilla about the decision at that gathering.

For more celebrity breaking news, follow BlasterPost's ongoing royal coverage.

Why does the timing matter for the royals?

Charles, who is living with cancer, invited the Sussexes to Highgrove last month in a first step toward reconciliation. The visit marked the first time he had seen Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, in four years.

Harry spent a full week in England. Markle and the children joined for only part of the trip after they were denied taxpayer-funded UK security.

Despite learning late, sources say Charles is excited to spend more time with the family. One royal source claimed, "I know that Charles is the reason they are moving back."

Are Harry and Meghan moving back for good?

Page Six reported the couple will stay in the UK for an extended period, not permanently. They plan to keep their $14.5 million Montecito estate. Another insider said they also remain close to many friends and family in Britain.

The pair left the UK in 2020 and stepped back from working royal roles in the move known as "Megxit." Their children are expected to attend school in the UK.

Did Prince Harry hint at a UK return earlier?

Yes. At the WellChild Awards in September 2025, Harry spoke with singer Joss Stone about feeling "drawn to come back" to England. Stone, who had relocated from Nashville, later told Hello! magazine he was genuinely interested in her move home and praised UK schools and community for children.

Harry remains at odds with Prince William. Royal reporter Tom Sykes told Page Six the impending move is "a huge slap in the face for William" and creates succession challenges for the Prince of Wales.

← Open in blast feed