Future Tech & AI Wonders · Morgan Chen · 6 July 2026

Prince Harry won't stay at Buckingham Palace after offer withdrawn

Prince Harry won't stay at Buckingham Palace after offer withdrawn

Prince Harry will not stay at Buckingham Palace during his UK trip this week, Buckingham Palace has said, despite his team announcing he had formally accepted an invitation to do so. The palace says the deadline to confirm passed; the Duke's spokesman calls the withdrawn offer disappointing.

The dispute over Prince Harry's Buckingham Palace accommodation has overshadowed his five-day visit to promote the 2027 Invictus Games in Birmingham. Royal sources told the BBC that he had not formally responded by last week's deadline and was told over the weekend he could no longer stay at the palace.

Key Takeaways

Why did Buckingham Palace withdraw the stay offer?

According to Buckingham Palace, Prince Harry's team failed to confirm the offer in time, then declined, and later accepted too late for staff arrangements. The palace requires minimum notice to host a guest and provide Royal Household staff.

Palace sources also cited concerns about the prince staying at Buckingham Palace when a court result about his claims against Associated Newspapers was due on Tuesday. Prince Harry's spokesman rejected that timing, saying the palace had known the judgment date since last Thursday. "It is therefore unclear why, having formally accepted the accommodation offer, it has now been withdrawn at the last moment," he said.

Will Meghan and the children join Prince Harry in the UK?

Prince Harry will not be joined by the Duchess of Sussex or their children, Archie and Lilibet, during the London leg, the BBC reports, after the family was denied taxpayer-funded police security. It remains possible they may join him in Birmingham later in the week to promote the Invictus Games.

Sources close to the couple said the London decision followed concerns from Prince Harry's personal security team. Buckingham Palace is making no comment on whether King Charles will meet his grandchildren, aged seven and five, whom he has not seen in person for four years.

What security concerns surround the visit?

A confidential report commissioned by Prince Harry's private security team, seen by ITV News, identifies at least six terrorist plots against the Duke, five originating in the UK. The assessment found safety risks are more elevated in Britain, where most serious threats have originated.

The report highlights stochastic terrorism—lone-actor attacks—as the highest priority threat and notes nearly 500 potential stalkers targeting the Royal Family, with half demonstrating a threat against Harry, Meghan and their children. Broader questions about how digital threat monitoring is reshaping protection are covered in our Future Tech & AI Wonders section.

What is planned for the rest of the UK trip?

Prince Harry will attend Invictus Games meetings at the Royal Hospital Chelsea on Wednesday alone. On Thursday the visit moves to Birmingham, where he is expected to visit the city's children's hospital for WellChild and attend events at the National Exhibition Centre.

The row over Buckingham Palace accommodation underscores deep distrust between the Sussex camp and the Palace, with both sides offering contradictory accounts. That tension could complicate any expected meeting between King Charles and his son during the visit.

← Open in blast feed