Meghan Markle once moaned about UK school privacy before move
Meghan Markle once moaned she had a "problem" with Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet attending school in the UK, telling The Cut in 2022 that paparazzi at drop-off would make her a protective parent—not a privacy obsessive. Page Six now confirms the Sussexes are moving back for an extended stay, with both children set to enroll in UK schools despite those earlier concerns.
Key Takeaways
- Meghan Markle told The Cut in 2022 she had a "problem" with UK school runs due to paparazzi.
- Page Six confirmed on August 19, 2026 that the Sussexes are returning to Britain for an extended period.
- Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 4, will attend school in the UK.
- King Charles III learned of the move over the weekend and looks forward to more family time.
- The couple remain non-working royals and will live in a non-royal residence, sources say.
What did Meghan Markle say about UK schools?
In a 2022 interview with The Cut, Meghan Markle once moaned about her and Prince Harry's children attending school in Britain. She told author Allison P. Davis she worried paparazzi would swarm her and her kids during school pick-up and drop-off if the family lived in the UK.
"Sorry, I have a problem with that," Markle said at the time. "That doesn't make me obsessed with privacy. That makes me a strong and good parent protecting my child."
Davis joined Markle on a preschool run for Archie in Montecito, California, where the duchess noted there was no press and only a few fellow moms who did "double takes." The contrast underscored why the family had chosen California after stepping back from royal duties in January 2020.
Why are Harry and Meghan moving back to the UK now?
On Wednesday, Page Six confirmed that Markle and Harry would be moving back to the UK for "an extended period," with Archie and Lilibet set to attend school there. "The palace was made aware of the move," an insider told the outlet.
Sources told Page Six that King Charles III is a major reason for the return. The couple made plans to leave California earlier in August 2026, weeks after a July reunion with Charles at Highgrove. Charles, who was diagnosed with cancer in February 2024, learned about the move over the weekend.
The Sussexes also want their children to build relationships with family in Britain, including Harry's cousin Princess Eugenie. However, sources say Prince William still refuses to talk to his brother, making cousin time with George, Charlotte, and Louis unlikely. For more on the royal fallout, see our Celebrity Breaking News hub.
How does this contradict Prince Harry's past statements?
The move marks a sharp turn from Harry's stance just over a year ago. In a May 2025 BBC interview, he said, "I can't see a world in which I would bring my wife and children back to the UK at this point," citing security concerns.
He added that he missed the UK and wished he could show his children his homeland, but stressed that reconciliation with some family members might never happen after his 2023 memoir "Spare."
More recently, at the WellChild Awards in London, Harry told actress Joss Stone that UK schools are "wonderful" and that community matters for children—sentiments Stone echoed after her own return from Tennessee.
What stays the same for the Sussexes?
Insiders told Page Six that Markle and Harry's roles as non-working members of the royal family will remain unchanged. According to The US Sun, they will reside in a non-royal residence and continue their business enterprises without selling their Montecito home.
Security remains a live issue. Harry is awaiting a review by the Government committee Ravec, and it is not yet clear what provisions are being made for the family's protection during the extended UK stay.