Liverpool transfer news: Brighton reject £60m Minteh bid
Liverpool transfer news took another twist on Friday as Brighton rejected the Reds' improved £60m bid for winger Yankuba Minteh. Talks between the clubs continue, but the Seagulls want closer to £70m for the 22-year-old Gambia international as Liverpool scramble to add width before the window closes.
The rejection follows an earlier £50m offer that Brighton also turned down, according to the BBC. Sky Sports reports the latest proposal still fell short of Brighton's valuation, even as both sides remain in dialogue over a deal.
Key Takeaways
- Brighton rejected Liverpool's improved £60m bid for Yankuba Minteh after also turning down a £50m offer earlier in the week.
- The Seagulls are holding out for closer to £70m for the 22-year-old right winger, who joined from Newcastle for £30m in 2024.
- Minteh and Liverpool reportedly have a broad verbal agreement on personal terms, but the player is injured and expected to be out until October.
- Bradley Barcola remains Liverpool's main wide target, though PSG's £145m valuation is a major obstacle.
- Andoni Iraola has warned Liverpool's squad is thin on the wings and expects a busy end to the transfer window.
Why did Brighton reject Liverpool's £60m bid for Minteh?
Sky Sports understands the £60m package did not meet Brighton's price for Minteh. The club values the Gambia international higher as transfer interest intensifies around their squad.
Brighton are also negotiating with Manchester United over Carlos Baleba in a deal understood to be worth more than £60m. Manager Fabian Hurzeler said it is normal for successful teams to face pressure over their best players.
Minteh has scored 10 goals and provided nine assists in 73 Brighton appearances since his 2024 move. He plays primarily on the right wing, exactly the profile Liverpool boss Andoni Iraola says his side lacks.
What does this mean for Liverpool's wider transfer plans?
Reinforcing wide-forward areas has been Liverpool's priority this window after Mohamed Salah, Andy Robertson and Ibrahima Konate all departed over the summer. Victor Munoz arrived from Osasuna, Ronald Araujo joined on loan from Barcelona, and Jeremy Jacquet came from Rennes in a £60m deal agreed in January.
Paris Saint-Germain's Bradley Barcola remains Liverpool's main target in wide areas, with the club still in contact over a move. However, PSG's reported £145m valuation is a complicating factor Liverpool are unwilling to match at present.
The Reds have also explored a deal for PSG winger Ibrahim Mbaye. Reports suggest both Mbaye and Barcola are growing frustrated as negotiations drag on with only days left in the window, and Mbaye could consider other clubs if a move stalls further.
How thin is Liverpool's squad on the wings?
Iraola admitted before the second Minteh bid emerged that Liverpool do not have enough wingers for the start of the season. In an interview with Jamie Carragher on Sky Sports, he said: "We will definitely sign some players... it is true that we are still quite thin."
There is internal belief at Anfield that the final days of the window will be busy. Curtis Jones is completing a £30m move to Inter Milan, further reshaping a squad Iraola inherited after replacing Arne Slot.
For more on the latest developments across sport and entertainment, follow our Celebrity Breaking News coverage.
When could Minteh join Liverpool if a deal is agreed?
Even if Liverpool and Brighton bridge the gap on fee, Minteh is currently sidelined with an injury expected to keep him out until October, according to Sky Sports. Brighton are also without Kaoru Mitoma, who has been out since May with a hamstring problem.
Transfer insider Fabrizio Romano reported that Minteh has said yes to Liverpool's project and the parties have a broad verbal agreement on contract terms. Gambian journalist Foday Manneh reported both clubs remain hopeful of reaching a deal despite the latest rejection.