True Crime & Unsolved Mysteries · Diana Graves · 23 August 2026

Karmelo Anthony: inside the gentlemen's agreement at trial

Karmelo Anthony: inside the gentlemen's agreement at trial

Karmelo Anthony inside the Frisco, Texas murder trial, prosecutors and defense attorneys reached an informal "gentlemen's agreement" to keep damaging character evidence about both teens out of court. As the 19-year-old appeals his 35-year prison sentence, hearings have revealed what was withheld—and why Anthony never testified.

Karmelo Anthony, 19, was convicted in June and sentenced to 35 years for fatally stabbing Austin Metcalf, 17, at a high school track meet in Frisco in April 2025. The case drew national attention and became highly politicized along racial lines—Anthony is Black and Metcalf was white. Anthony is now appealing and spent the week of August 20 in court seeking a new trial, arguing the collapse of the gentlemen's agreement prevented him from testifying in his own defense.

Key Takeaways

What Was the 'Gentlemen's Agreement'?

According to PEOPLE, an informal pact between Collin County prosecutors and Anthony's trial defense team aimed to keep information that might impugn either teenager's character out of the murder trial. Lead prosecutor Bill Wirskye testified the deal would focus proceedings exclusively on what happened under the tent where Metcalf was stabbed, rather than broader personal histories.

The arrangement was not entered into the official court record. Defense attorney Mike Howard said in an affidavit cited by PEOPLE that both sides understood certain past behavior, school records, and phone contents would stay out of jurors' view. For more cases where courtroom strategy shapes public understanding, see our True Crime & Unsolved Mysteries coverage hub.

What Damaging Evidence Was Withheld From Jurors?

During post-trial hearings, prosecutors disclosed details never shown to the jury. Wirskye said that hours before the stabbing, Anthony's ex-girlfriend reported to an assistant principal that he was stalking her and refusing to accept the end of their relationship. Anthony also allegedly texted he was "lowk on the verge" and, per prosecutors, expressed a fixation with knives—including a message about licking blood off his knife.

Information about Metcalf was suppressed too. Howard detailed an offense report alleging Metcalf spray-painted racist graffiti, including the N-word, "Kill all Black people," and "Heil Hitler." Messages and videos on Metcalf's phone reportedly showed what Howard called a "pervasive picture of a racist outlook." Both teens allegedly had histories involving fighting, according to reporting cited by PEOPLE.

Why Didn't Karmelo Anthony Testify?

Anthony's defense rested on self-defense—he claimed he stabbed Metcalf because he feared for his life during their confrontation. Trial attorney Toby Shook testified Friday that Anthony's own testimony was the only effective way for jurors to hear that account. Yet Anthony never took the stand.

Howard said Wirskye considered the gentlemen's agreement breached when Howard mentioned during opening statements that Anthony was in the chess club—a reference beyond events under the tent. That raised fears prosecutors would introduce previously excluded evidence about Anthony if he testified. Anthony's lawyers argue that decision severely damaged his acquittal chances.

How Did 'Unprecedented' Death Threats Shape the Case?

Wirskye told the court an "unprecedented" volume of death threats hit parties across the case amid intense public vitriol. Metcalf's family was "swatted," he said, while Anthony's family was followed by a group of armed white people. A judge who reduced Anthony's bond and defense attorney Howard also received threats.

Security pressures extended to the courthouse itself. Wirskye said so many bomb threats were called in that employees had to learn new response protocols. As Anthony's appeal continues, the withheld evidence and the informal deal that kept it from jurors remain central to whether he receives a new trial.

← Open in blast feed