Harry and Meghan plan extended move back to Britain
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle plan to move back to Britain for an extended stay beginning late August 2026, according to exclusive reports in The Telegraph and People. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have secured a private UK home and intend to enroll Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, in British schools from September while keeping their homes in California and Portugal.
The reported relocation marks one of the most significant shifts in the Sussexes' post-royal life since they quit as working royals in 2020. Six years after the Sandringham agreement dubbed Megxit ruled they could not be half-in, half-out members of the Firm, their return is already fueling questions about whether that arrangement is beginning to unwind.
Key Takeaways
- Harry and Meghan plan an extended UK stay from late August 2026, with a private non-royal home already secured.
- Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5, are expected to start British schools in September.
- King Charles was informed on August 16 and is said to welcome the chance to see his grandchildren more often.
- The couple will not work as royals on return and plan to continue their business ventures, including Meghan's As Ever brand.
- Prince William's rift with Harry may persist, with The Sun's Arthur Edwards suggesting the heir may never forgive his brother.
Why are Harry and Meghan moving back to Britain now?
Sources cited by The Telegraph and People say the Sussexes are returning for an extended period rather than a brief visit. The family is expected to arrive at the end of August and remain in Britain while Archie and Lilibet are in education, even though they will keep their Montecito, California home and their property in Portugal.
The timing follows a summer that already brought the family back to UK soil. Last month, Meghan, Archie and Lilibet spent an extended trip in Britain and met King Charles and Queen Camilla at Highgrove in Gloucestershire, without taxpayer-funded armed police protection, according to reports.
Will they return as working royals?
Not according to the sources quoted in the exclusives. The Sussexes are understood to continue with their business enterprises and are not expected to undertake royal duties when they return. Any future role for Prince Harry would need to be discussed directly between him and his father, the King.
That distinction matters. The 2020 Sandringham deal made clear the couple could not pick and choose royal responsibilities while pursuing commercial careers. Their homecoming may reopen debate about Megxit without restoring them to the royal payroll.
How has King Charles reacted to the news?
The King was told of the plans on August 16, sources say, and is reportedly pleased at the prospect of spending more time with Archie and Lilibet. The move would give Charles more access to grandchildren he has seen only sporadically since Harry and Meghan relocated to California.
Security remains a live issue. It is not yet clear whether the family has been given fresh assurances or whether any protection would be funded by the taxpayer. The Home Office position on armed security for the Duke and Duchess has not been confirmed.
Could Prince William ever forgive Harry?
While Charles may welcome his son's return, The Sun's Arthur Edwards writes that he understands why a furious Prince William may never forgive Harry. The brothers remain estranged even as their father pursues a closer relationship with the Sussexes.
Reports of a UK base do not automatically mean a wider family reunion. For more on the royal family's stranger twists, see our Bizarre World coverage. Full details are in The Telegraph's exclusive.